School of Natural & Social Sciences
Student Research Opportunities
- NYC LSAMP
- One-year fellowship for undergraduate research and research-support activities. Open to sophomores.
- U-RISE at Lehman College
- Two-year fellowship program to support research training of students interested in pursuing advanced graduate degrees (Ph.D. or MD/Ph.D.) in the areas of Biomedicine and Biochemistry. Open to juniors and seniors.
- One-year scholarship program for undergraduate minority STEM students who have financial need. Open to second semester students or first semester students if the student is a BCC transfer.
- A collaboration between the office of Campus Honors and Scholar Engagement (CHASE) and the School of Natural and Social Sciences (NSS) to identify research opportunities for students in our campus research labs. Open to second semester (freshmen) students at the earliest.
- NSF REU: Integrated Design of Materials (IDM) in New York City (IDMinNYC)
- A 10-week summer research program where undergraduate students are introduced to interdisciplinary, cutting-edge research methodologies in materials science. Participants receive collaborative mentorship from faculty across Lehman College, City College and the CUNY Advanced Research Center (ASRC). Open to rising sophomore's at the time of application (at the earliest)
- Public Interest Technology Data Science Corps (PIT-DSC)
- An 8-week summer URE program that brings Columbia University and Lehman College undergraduates together to work on public interest technology projects. Graduate students from the Columbia Department of Statistics serve as mentors. Open to currently enrolled students and recent graduates.
Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REUs) are competitive summer research programs for students studying science, engineering, or mathematics.
- The National Science Foundation (NSF) has over 600 REU opportunities. View the list here. Please note that most deadlines are in January.
- CUNY has a list of many sites, including the NSF’s. Go to their page.
- The Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) Scholars Program offers paid summer internship opportunities to undergraduate and graduate level university students pursuing STEM degrees. See the List.
- The Department of Biological Sciences has a list of competitive scholarships on their department website.